Friday, May 05, 2006

Start

Hello All,

Here it is, a blog that will in the near future be dedicated to environmental issues that I find important. To start with I will be regularly updating this site with current information on my coast to coast drive on nothing but, (hopefully) veggie oil. I have a list of fueling stations that I can stop and buy biodiesel if necessary. So I guess it could end up being at the very least a drive coast to coast on renewable fuels. I will be filming the journey with a Panasonic DVX 100a miniDV camera.

My trip starts on Monday May 8 where I will be driving to Middle Tennessee for my first leg of the trip and then on to Norman Oklahoma later in the week.

Details on the Vehicle:

1984 Mercedes Benz $1000
300 D Turbo
200,000 miles

Replaced: belts, water pump, thermostat, new tires, breather hose, all filters and fluids, tie rod ends, valves adjusted, fixed sunroof, new radio, fixed instrument cluster, new right front caliper and pads, new oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, and roof rack with cargo carrier.
$1200

Neoteric Biofuels Two tank Kit $800 (now www.Plantdrive.com)
Misc other part needed for the Kit $250 (most obtained from Lowes, local marine dealer)

Second battery for Oil pump and wiring $100
Oil Pump for Veggie Oil $150 (www.greasel.com)
Aux Lift Pump $80 (malory 6131)
Extra Filters for trip $100 (fuel 2 types, engine oil, veggie, bag)

GPS for logging trip $100 (Magellean 200)

So, yes I have spent alot of money on a 22 year old car, but it can run on all sorts of fuels and gets close to 30 miles to the gallon after the valve adjustment. Part of the point of the trip is to demonstrate that you can take an old vehicle and use renewable fuels in them.

Well I will post again soon, hopefully before the trip begins, but I am working alot this weekend so I may be too tired.

F Scot

1 Comments:

Blogger hfiend said...

sweet!

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home